One sign of economic recovery is that organizations are continuing to put new leaders in place. What ever the level, successful leadership transition is critical for organizations to maximize performance. This article provides tips and techniques for individuals going through a leadership transition. Human Resource or Organizational Effectiveness professionals responsible for supporting the new leader will also find the tips and techniques useful to ensure a smooth transition.
Leadership research indicates that the action and inactions during the first three months are a key success factor in a new job, especially when coming in from the outside. Therefore, it is important during the transition period to prepare properly, before day one and to actively manage your actions during the first 90 days.
Keep in mind these key tips:
- Prepare yourself and develop a plan for the first 90 days
- Approach the new position with a well-defined learning plan
- Align expectations with your new boss
- Develop your strategy by gaining input from team members
- Assess and build your team
- Communicate, communicate, and communicate
- Remember to find a work/life balance during this transition period to effectively manage the additional stress