The life sciences industry is experiencing unprecedented change due to cost pressures from consumers and payers, evolving healthcare delivery models, competing therapies, and increased government scrutiny. As a result, life science companies are undergoing changes in strategy and focus. Research proves that up to 70% of large-scale change efforts fail. The remaining 30% of companies who are successful have several key factors in common. One factor is the focus on developing company leaders and readying them with business acumen and change agility skills through a deliberate leadership development approach. Additionally, these organizations use structured and consistent processes to provide their leadership with frameworks to guide their teams through change.


Business Acumen: P.L.A.N. for Results®

In these changing times, pharmaceutical companies cannot rely solely on the one-to-one pharmaceutical-representative-to-physician model to drive growth. Treatment decision making is often made by a sizable number of stakeholders across very large and complex healthcare institutions and payer organizations. In response, pharmaceutical companies are relying on sales professionals to increase access drive pull-through in a coordinated and planned manner.

Navigating accounts, identifying stakeholders, and delivering value requires customer-facing roles to better develop and execute account plans.  The skills required to do this go beyond territory planning.  WLH has worked with many pharmaceutical companies to customize their planning process and develop the business acumen required to understand the evolving healthcare ecosystem, as well as the customer’s clinical, financial, and economic drivers. The P.L.A.N for Results® blended learning solution proactively addresses healthcare dynamics and market access roadblocks through effective planning and execution.

Change Management: The 5C’s of Transition Leadership®

After years of experience and hundreds of change management projects, WLH created the 5C’s of Transition Leadership®.   The 5C’s model is focused on what an individual leader must do to personally commit to change, to address business risks, to assess the impact on their team, and to coach their direct reports through the transition.

The model also provides best practices for monitoring the change effort over time and recalibrating action plans to ensure success.

This approach results in accelerated buy-in throughout the organization and increases the likelihood for desired results to be achieved. Through the 5C’s training program:

  • Leaders gain the confidence and skills needed to lead their teams through change and coach direct reports through transition
  • Teams receive clear direction on what needs to happen to drive the desired results
  • Individuals understand what they need to do to contribute effectively

Leadership Development: L.E.A.D®

WLH created the L.E.A.D.® (Leadership Excellence through Accelerated Development) blended learning solution to address the continuous challenges leaders face in this competitive marketplace related to strategic thinking, business planning, problem solving, working collaboratively, and coaching others.  This customizable solution includes competency models, learning curricula, leader-led assets, distance learning modules, and live application programs.  Our clients have reported that participants take more accountability for improving their leadership capabilities.

Compliant Documentation: W.R.I.T.E. It Right®

Given the heightened governmental and public scrutiny that life sciences and pharmaceutical organizations face, it has become increasingly important for all employees to be mindful of what they say, how they say it, and the medium used to deliver the message.  WLH has developed the Compliant Communications® workshop and the W.R.I.T.E. It Right® framework to reinforce communication skills that improve the quality of information shared, both internally and externally. This solution will provide an organization with written communications and documentation training related to basic communications, e.g., emails, texts, generic documents, business plans, field coaching reports, and more.


Wendy L. Heckelman, Ph.D.
Author:
Wendy L. Heckelman, Ph.D.

Dr. Wendy Heckelman, president and founder of WLH Consulting, Inc. has over 25 years of experience working with Fortune 100 industry clients. These include pharmaceutical, biotech, health care, animal health medicines, and consumer products, as well as international non-profit organizations and growing entrepreneurial companies.

Add Your Comment: